Franklin fire

A firefighter sprays water onto the home of Scott and Kelly Womack on Maple Creek Road in Franklin on Tuesday. The home was completely destroyed after an explosion that occurred while Scott was trying to light the furnace. He has been released from Franklin County Medical Center after treatment of first- and second-degree burns.

Support Local Journalism

A explosion that occurred while a man was relighting his furnace caused a fire that destroyed a home on Maple Creek Road in Franklin County on Tuesday.

Firefighters were called to the home of Scott and Kelly Womack at 4562 E. Maple Creek Road, Franklin, at 12:30 p.m. Tuesday. Scott Womack was taken to the hospital with first- and second-degree burns and later released. No one else was in the home.

According to Janet Jeppsen, Womack’s next-door neighbor, seeing smoke from her neighbor’s lot was not abnormal.

“Scott’s a contractor; he burns things. But I saw smoke coming from the vents from the garage … and I ran to the back and Scott was on the phone,” she said.

Covered in ash and talking to 911, he was trying to extinguish the blaze engulfing the back of the house with a water hose.

Trisa Hansen, another neighbor, drove by the house as the explosion happened.

She immediately called 911, but they had already received Womack’s call. She, too, went looking to see how to help.

The home had run out of propane and the tank had just been refilled, so Womack said he was trying to relight the water furnace when it blew up. It blew him out of the mechanical room and into the garage, he said. It blew off the steel doors from the room into both the house and the garage, and laid one wall of the room down into the garage. It also blew out the garage door.

Not realizing that the explosion had blown fire throughout the house, he shut a door to try to contain the blaze. But within 5 minutes heat from the fire drove him away from the house, and in 10 minutes a quarter of the house was gone, he said.

By then, the local emergency services were on site and Hansen and Jeppsen convinced Womack that his well-being was more important. He was transported to Franklin County Medical Center for treatment of burns sustained in the blaze.

“He’s burnt, not horribly, but he is burnt,” Hansen said.

Scott sustained first- and second-degree burns on his hands, face and neck, according to Fire Marshal Matt Gleed.

Firefighters from Franklin County were joined by fire crews from several communities throughout Cache Valley, which provided water tenders to restock portable reservoirs on-site, from a fire hydrant further west on Maple Creek Road. Franklin County’s fire engines drew water from the reservoirs to extinguish the blaze.

In addition to the house, two vehicles, one in the garage and one outside, were destroyed. As for irreplaceable mementos, Womack said they “are in our hearts” so they aren’t truly lost. Firefighters were also able to protect a detached garage next to the home from damage. They cleared the scene around 6 p.m.

Why the blaze started is a mystery, Gleed said. In an effort to light the water heater, Scott had struck several matches before the one that ignited the inferno, Gleed added.

Scott said he and his family will “take a day or two to get our wits about us,” then rebuild their home with the help of his family and a multitude of friends who have offered assistance. In a voice thick with emotion, he expressed gratitude for them and the police, EMTs, doctors and firefighters from both Franklin and Cache counties that came to his aid.

“I’ve never seen such great people and how concerned they were. We have a great community. I can’t believe all the people that come and surround you,” he said.

“We will move forward and be happy,” he said.

The family plans to stay on their property in their fifth-wheel trailer until they can rebuild their home.

Please be aware that Cache Valley Publishing does not endorse, and is not responsible for alleged employment offers in the comments.

Recommended for you